People that think about things they shouldn't think about.

Friday, May 1, 2009

The Aftermath

I'm very happy with the visitation.
That morning his Grandma said, "Now don't be surprised if not many people show up. You know how people are; say they'll come, then they don't come." I just smiled in response.
The family later confessed that they were only expecting maybe 10 people to show up. They must have been overwhelmed with the turnout! There were only 82 signatures in the guest book, so we know not everyone signed. A group of Mediacom friends toasted him a block away, and I got a limited edition can of Jones Soda from it.
Everyone was very impressed with the slideshow I put together, saying I have such talent. I was very happy that my college roomate, Chris could make it, and I told her that everyone liked the pictures she took of me and Rusty, which I took from Facebook.
It was eirie seeing Rusty's body for the final time. Since it feels like he's always beside me, it looked like it was just an empty shell, though some of his siblings refused to go into that room. Other people said he looked like he was just sleeping, but I saw that his eyes and nose were a little sunken compared to when I last saw the body. People noticed that he was too large for the display cascet, and I explained that he won't be cremated in it.
The socializing is a blur of many people saying to me, "If you need anything, give me a call," and me taking out my phone and getting their number for the first time.
It's like he built this huge support system just for me. In the meantime, I'm burning discs for those that want a copy of the DVD.

No comments: